Friday, July 18, 2014

We're All Ears :: July Reveal




This month's inspiration photo (above) took me on an interesting personal journey to the Great Lakes, my childhood, and cherished family memories and treasures. My aunt and uncle, who lived in Michigan, owed a beautiful sailboat, and our family was fortunate enough to have sailed with them on the waters of Lake Michigan. I distinctly remember Uncle Phil's sailing instruction and endless jokes related to "coming about." The wonderous freedom of gliding across the blue water, leaving a gentle wake around us. The vastness of the lake. The flapping of sails. Such strong sensory memories. Recently, while snooping around in my dad's trays of slides, I discovered this photo of my mom and I on my aunt and uncle's sailboat.


Seeing that loving look on my mom's face really made me miss her. To feel that comfort and safety in my mother's arms again. To be that loved. That childhood wonder and innocence. These memories and emotions led me to my treasured stash of my mom's old jewelry. Two pieces spoke to me - the black and silver necklace and the silver bar chain. The cupped triangular shapes captured the shapes of the billowing sails, and their black stripes seemed reminiscent of sail graphics. The knotted textures of the bar links resembled sailing ropes. I was off on one of those gloriously-inspired creative whirlwinds. 


After adding some jump rings, a beaded-and-paddled dangle, and some handmade earwires, the earrings for this challenge were done. Certainly, I ignored color palette similarities this time around. Now that I really think about it, I often am most inspired by shapes and textures in these challenges. If the color works out too, then it's an added perk. Anyway, without further ado, here are this month's earrings. 


I seldom can stop with just earrings alone. There were all those other "sail" pendants left on the table and the creative juices were still flowing, so I made a matching necklace. I punched one more hole in the pendant and added a Czech glass dangle. The large-holed ocean jasper beads fit perfectly on the black deerskin leather. Serendipitous that it is "ocean" jasper. More water. I just noticed that!




So here's to my mom, my aunt and uncle, and sailing. Wearing this set will comfort me with sweet memories.


*For this month's reveal, I tried to focus on improving the quality of my photos. I used FotoFuze and Snapseed editing programs on these. Always learning!

Thanks, Erin, for another inspiring photo. To all participating artists, thank you for sharing your creative process and your artwork.  
                                                                                 ~ Cindy 

22 comments:

  1. What a lovely story you have shared with us today. Surely these special pieces of jewelry you created will be new family treasures to pass down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo of your mom is very special. Thanks for sharing it. You are lucky to have some of your mom's jewelry. I love how you used it in a new design. Your pieces are wonderful and contemporary ones that capture the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I have repurposed several of my mom and dad's jewelry pieces and have lots more in my jewelry box for future inspired moments. I hold each one very dear.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing your childhood photo, so cute! It's wonderful idea to upcycle the old pieces and make something new from them. The "sail" links/pendants are perfect for the earrings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. I don't remember mom actually wearing this necklace but I'm excited to keep playing with possibilities for repurposed pieces using these components.

      Delete
  4. It's great to incorporate the old with the new as it gives a piece more meaning. I love that this months inspiration has evoked special memories for you - very lovely pieces xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This set will be fun to wear, as I will remember not only my mom but this great challenge and all of the positive comments shared by fellow artists.

      Delete
  5. Love the way you re-purposed your mom's necklace. The finished pieces are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This was a very special project and I will treasure these pieces.

      Delete
  6. What great memories and a set to honor that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This was a very meaningful project.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful story, thank you for sharing your memories with us. I love that you used your mom's pieces to create something new, but will always remind you of such treasured memories. They were beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I will treasure these memories and these pieces. What a wonderful project this was.

      Delete
  8. Lovely pieces. Thanks for sharing such happy memories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This project did indeed make me very happy and wearing this set will always bring back those special memories.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing your family stories and memories of your mom. That makes your fabulous earrings all the more special. I like how you repurposed your mother's jewelry into something new...such interesting sail pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. I did love this project and will treasure wearing this set.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely photo of your mom and you. I know how it feels to lose a parent. I was very close to my mom and wish she were here. How lucky that you have some of her jewelry. Those earrings you made are very special and you will think of your mom every time you wear them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet. Thank you for your kind message. Yes, missing our mothers is so difficult. Not a day goes by that I do not think of my mom. This jewelry set, however, is a tangible reminder that I will cherish always. What a great challenge this was!

      Delete
  11. What a lovely memory you share, Miss Cindy! I love that sweet picture of your beautiful mama. She certainly looks like you are her whole world! And what truly inspiring pieces of jewelry to work with! I love the shape of those metal paddle pieces. The stripes are perfect embodiments of the graphic details of the sails. I like that you made a memory with these pieces to carry with you. And you can take whatever details you like for this challenge, colors, shapes, textures, subject.... whatever you like! Thank you for joining in the We're All Ears Challenge for July! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the way you remade the pieces..so beautiful.. :)

    ReplyDelete